The Beginning

In 1877, Loreto Convent Asansol opened in a small three-roomed, thatched bungalow. The nuns came in response to a request from the Parish Priest Rev. Fr. Jacques S.J. Asansol had become an important railway centre and had a large Catholic population and a bungalow was available at a low price. The Jesuit Fathers had built a fine Church and had moved their Scholastics into the property which is now St. Patrick's School, so the spiritual needs of the Sisters would be served, who would in turn serve the educational needs of the local Community.

At this time Mother Delphine Hart was very worried about one of her community who suffered from persistent fever. A change of air was prescribed but the invalid was not able for the journey to the healthier climates of either Darjeeling or Hazaribagh where Convents were already established. It was winter when Mother Delphine set out to see the property, accompanied by the delicate sister. She was impressed and felt that it was an answer to her prayer and an opportunity not to be missed. Furthermore she was pleased to find that the climate seemed to be healthy, with its keen, dry, unpolluted air and expanses of green paddy fields.